Chewy chocolate cookies and best American chocolate chip cookies recipe with chocolate or chocolate chips, chocolate drops, chocolate chunks or chocolate chip cookies. There are countless names for the little dark chocolate chunks that I prefer to chop myself before they go into my cookies. Every family in the US seems to have their own family recipe for the delicious Chocolate Chip Cookies, and they really turn out quite quickly.
Ingredients for Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe
- 80g butter (liquid)
- 66ml oil (=56g)
- 50g cane sugar (brown sugar)
- 100g sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla sugar
- 10g honey
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 320g wheat flour 405
- 50g dark chocolate as a bar or chocolate drops
I prefer to chop the chocolate myself instead of buying ready-made drops. I love it when there is sometimes an extra large piece of chocolate in the cookie, even if it makes it a bit softer. I would always go for the cookie first, which promises the thickest chocolate chip just from looking at it.
Instructions for chewy chocolate chip cookies
- First, mix butter, oil, cane sugar, sugar, vanilla sugar and honey using a food processor.
- In addition, add eggs and mix until fluffy.
- Then stir in baking powder, baking soda, salt and wheat flour until a homogeneous mixture is formed.
- Finally, fold in chopped dark chocolate or chocolate drops.
- Shape the dough into balls about the size of a walnut and place on a baking tray with baking paper. If you like, you can press some colorful M&Ms (without nuts) or mini Smarties on the balls.
- Bake for approx. 14 minutes at 175°C (top/bottom heat).
- Let the cookies cool and decorate with dark chocolate if desired.
Chocolate cookies like traditional chocolate chip cookies from the USA – crispy on the outside, chewy on the inside…
For a long time I was looking for the best recipe for chocolate chip cookies. Traditionally, most cookies in our country are rather hard and over-crispy and far from the typical chocolate chip cookies that you can get on every street corner in the USA. Our regular recipes really deviate from the chewy, moist and “cookie dough” American versions.
I finally found my Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe, which is what I always like to use as the base for my American cookies.
Chocolate Chunk Cookies always fit perfectly in large cookie jars
I love big cookie jars, as I already told you about my crispy cornflakes cookies. One of those tins always has a chocolate chunk cookie in it using this recipe. Since I try not to bake too large quantities, I share with you today the amount that is enough for me for about 20 chocolate chip cookies.
As with my muffin recipes, I wanted to find a recipe that tasted similar to Starbucks cookies and cookies. Nice and crispy on the outside, but not hard. Inside still a bit fluffy and rather sticky instead of dry. Soft and juicy delicious from the core so you can bite off the cookies or even tear with your fingers.
The shorter the baking time, the fluffier the cookies will stay. If you prefer hard cookies, you can bake for a few more minutes, but the cookies should not darken. If the cookies puff up first and then collapse, feel free to use a little more flour on the next cookies. You can thus adjust the Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe with the amount of flour according to your own wishes. From extra soft chocolate chip cookies to slightly harder cookies.
Traditional American Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 stand mixer
- 1 baking tray
- 1 baking paper
- 80 g margarine vegetable (e.g., sunflower) (fluid)
- 56 g oil (neutral, e.g. sunflower oil)
- 50 g cane sugar
- 100 g sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla sugar
- 10 g honey
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 320 g all-purpose flour
- 50 g chocolate chips (dark)
- Preheat oven to 175 °C.
- Mix butter, oil, cane sugar, sugar, vanilla sugar and honey in a stand mixer.80 g margarine vegetable (e.g., sunflower), 56 g oil (neutral, e.g. sunflower oil), 50 g cane sugar, 100 g sugar, 1 tsp vanilla sugar, 10 g honey
- Add eggs and let them beat until foamy.2 eggs
- Now stir in baking powder, baking soda, salt and wheat flour until a homogeneous mass is formed.1 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp baking soda, ½ tsp salt, 320 g all-purpose flour
- Finally, stir in chopped dark chocolate or chocolate drops.50 g chocolate chips (dark)
- Shape the dough into balls about the size of a walnut and place on a baking sheet with baking paper.
- Bake for approx. 14 minutes at 175 °C . The shorter the baking time, the fluffier the cookies will remain. If you prefer hard cookies, you can let them bake for a few minutes more, but the cookies should not get dark. Start 14 minutes timer here
- After baking, allow to cool and decorate with dark chocolate if desired.
Feel free to try the Chocolate Chip Cookies while they are still fresh and a glass of milk goes super delicious with them. I can see why Americans like to dip their cookies in milk. So quickly my cookie jar is now filled again with delicious chewy cookies that also keep in the tin for about 2 weeks.
Try your personal variation, if you like to use nuts or only certain colors of chocolate lentils (e.g. Halloween only orange-colored, Christmas only red and green, Valentine only red)…
If you like it a bit crunchier, try our recipe for chocolate cookies with cornflakes. Even though you could just add some cornflakes to this dough, I like the ingredients of the cornflakes cookies a bit better. Of course you are welcome to try both versions. Have fun in your kitchen and with the shining eyes….
What’s your favorite – the chocolate chip cookies or the cornflakes cookies?