Delicious whole wheat bread recipe or spelt bread recipe for healthy whole wheat bread as a classic traditional bread option. Bread recipe for delicious, fluffy and moist whole spelt bread for sweet and savory toppings. Healthy bread does not have to be hard and dry, but in our recipe we will show you how to bake really fluffy and juicy as well as delicious wholemeal spelt bread.
Our spelt bread recipe for whole wheat bread is based on healthy and simple ingredients and yeast. The honey and liquid butter give the bread the perfect consistency and extra delicious taste. Depending on your preference, you can vary the amount a bit, as well as the amount of salt. So everyone gets the spelt bread, which he likes best.
Instructions for the delicious wholemeal bread recipe
First put whole wheat flour, yeast, honey, salt and warm water in a mixing bowl and knead for about 5 minutes. Now cover mixing bowl with a clean dry towel and let rise in a warm place for an hour.
Melt butter and allow to cool slightly before now adding it to the dough and lightly mixing it in. Grease loaf pan and now pour in spelt bread dough and let rise again until oven is preheated (10-30 minutes depending on how much the bread has re-collapsed from the butter).
Brush bread lightly with butter if desired and sprinkle with sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds, for example. Now place an ovenproof dish with water in the oven – alternatively fill the cake tray with about 250ml of water.
Bake bread for about 25-30 minutes at 220 degrees (top/bottom heat) – be careful when opening the oven, as a hot cloud of steam escapes each time. The water keeps the bread nice and moist.
Let the finished spelt bread cool for about 10 minutes, remove from the loaf pan and brush with a little butter before letting it cool completely. Finally, wrap the bread in aluminum foil – this will keep it fresh and delicious for as long as possible.
Our first baked whole wheat bread attempts have only motivated us more to find the perfect whole wheat bread recipe to end up with our best spelt bread recipe.
Spelt bread recipe – whole wheat or sweet brioche
We wanted a whole wheat bread to pair with our sweet Brioche, and it’s hard to decide which bread to eat at breakfast when both types are on the table.
On the one hand, we often now also use healthier 630 spelt flour instead of wheat flour in our mare bread recipes and notice the difference positively in the compatibility, but with tart whole wheat flour for spelt bread you have to be a bit more careful to find the perfect bread recipe in this case.
In the meantime, we have found our perfect bread variant and have often had the query about the delicious bread recipe during our breakfast visit. It is quite simple and quickly prepared without many ingredients or extreme effort and therefore always made quickly the night before.
If you want you can add grains and seeds to the bread dough, such as sunflower seeds, however, the whole wheat bread tastes best to us when it is quite tender from the inside. The bread smells extremely delicious and tastes like the perfect mixture that is healthy and tasty.
We like whole spelt bread recipe best with acacia honey or forest honey in the bread dough, as both types are very liquid and mix extremely well with the bread.
Spelt bread – delicious wholemeal bread homemade
- 1 stand mixer
- 1 dough scraper
- 1 loaf pan
- 600 g Whole Spelt Flour
- 7 g instant yeast
- 28 g honey
- 1,5 tsp salt
- 350 ml water (warm)
- 45 g margarine vegetable (e.g., sunflower) (soft)
- Put the flour, yeast, honey, salt and warm water in a mixing bowl and knead for about 5 minutes. Start 5 minutes timer here600 g (5 cups) Whole Spelt Flour7 g (2 tsp) instant yeast28 g (4 tsp) honey1,5 tsp (1 ½ tsp) salt350 ml (1 ½ cups) water
- Now let the dough rest in the mixing bowl in a warm and draft-free place for an hour (cover with a fresh kitchen towel). Start 60 minutes timer here
- Now melt butter and let it cool a bit before adding it to the dough and lightly mixing in the butter.45 g (1.6 oz) margarine vegetable (e.g., sunflower)
- Now put the dough into a greased loaf pan and let it stand, covered again, for 10 minutes until the oven is preheated. Start 10 minutes timer here
- Sprinkle bread with sunflower seeds, for example, if desired.
- Place a fireproof bowl with water in the oven – alternatively fill the cake tray with about 250ml of water.
- Now let bread bake for approx. 25-30 minutes at220 °C. Be careful when opening the oven, as a hot cloud of steam escapes each time.Start 25 minutes timer here
- Let the finished bread cool for about 10 minutes, remove from the mold, brush with a little butter and continue to cool. Then wrap the bread in aluminum foil, so it stays fresh and delicious for as long as possible.
The spelt bread recipe homemade bread pairs perfectly with sweet toppings like our homemade strawberry jam or chocolate spread, but we like it even better with cold cuts like cheese and salami.
We’re excited to hear your favorite cold cuts on our delicious whole wheat bread…