Best bagel recipe for bagels or the little round bread rolls with a hole. I first saw them in America and was immediately on the lookout for a really good bagel recipe. I had my first bagel right in New York, the perceived bagel capital in the US. The taste and texture doesn’t really resemble our bread buns, but that’s what intrigued me. They are slightly sweeter and much less puffy, yet much fluffier on the outside than a bread roll. The search for the best recipe to make bagels myself began and now I can present you my bagel recipe.
Ingredients for delicious bagels – my bagel recipe
- 330ml milk (warm)
- 50g butter (fluffy)
- 2 packets of dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 660g flour
- 1½ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
You will also need some sugar for the cooking water and an egg white for topping with grains. I like to use sunflower seeds or sesame seeds for my special variations.
Instructions for homemade bagels
- Mix the ingredients for the yeast dough until a nice dough is formed.
- Then coat the dough with flour and let it rise in a warm place for an hour.
- Now roll the dough into a roll and divide it into 12 pieces. It is best to form light balls and pierce each one through the center with a wooden stick and spin the bagel. Alternatively, use round cookie cutters to shape into desired from.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees (top/bottom heat) or 180 degrees (convection oven) and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Bring 4 liters of water with 2 tablespoons of sugar to a boil in a large pot. I halve the amount of sugar water and then like to use my wok pan for this.
- Now add 3-4 bagels to the water and cook for about 2 minutes per side. Then drain with a slotted spoon on a wire rack and let rest a bit more on the baking sheet.
- Brush bagels with egg white and dip or sprinkle with sesame seeds or sunflower seeds if desired.
- Now place in oven for about 20-25 minutes until desired brownness is achieved. The egg white can make the bagel look a little lighter and keep in mind that you may want to freeze the bagel and bake it again.
- Let it cool down and enjoy it lukewarm.
Recipe for bagel like from New York City
I love to bake my own bread and bread rolls. Starting with the simple sweet Brioche, to healthy whole wheat breads. Everything was fresh out of the oven, tastes twice as good to me. You just have to be careful not to eat twice as much then…
Delicious bagel homemade – simple bagel recipe
Gladly I share with you my bagel recipe that I always like to use. Bagels look a lot more complicated than they are. It takes a tiny bit more effort to make than a bread roll, but it’s that extra step that makes all the important difference.
Why do bagels have a hole in the middle?
Bagels have a hole to speed up the cooking process in the water and create more delicious crust when baked. Besides, the holes used to be convenient for transporting and storing the finished bagels.
Bagels are boiled in sugar water before baking for a nice, fluffy, shiny crust. This process gives you a traditional bagel as you think of it. My versions get a little extra crust from egg white, which you can also see in the pictures, though you can leave the egg white out.
Bake your own American bagel – my bagel recipe
You wouldn’t believe how proud I was when I tried my first homemade bagel and it was much better than I had hoped. I have tried my bagel recipe several times now and can also report that it has been delicious time and time again.
My favorite variations to top the bagel are quite classic mostly cream cheese and or salmon. Likewise, it tastes very delicious with cold cuts such as cheese or ham and also pure with butter. If it may be sweeter, it tastes perfect to me with strawberry jam, other jam varieties and of course chocolate cream.
Bagel recipe – bake delicious American bagel
- 1 stand mixer
- 1 cooking pot large (large wok pan is also good)
- 1 brush
- 1 wire rack
- 1 cookie cutter round
- 1 baking tray
- 1 slotted spoon
- 330 ml whole milk 3,5% (warm)
- 50 g margarine vegetable (e.g., sunflower) (soft)
- 14 g instant yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 660 g all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp sugar (for the cooking water)
- 1 egg white (for brushing the surface of the bagel)
- Bagel dough Mix or knead ingredients until a nice dough is formed.330 ml whole milk 3,5%, 50 g margarine vegetable (e.g., sunflower), 14 g instant yeast, 660 g all-purpose flour, 1 ½ tsp salt, 2 eggs, 1 tsp sugar
- Coat dough with flour and let rise in a warm place for an hour.Start 60 minutes timer here
- Roll the dough into a roll and divide it into 12 pieces. Pierce the center with a wooden stick and spin the bagel. Alternatively, use cookie cutters to shape the bagel to the desired shape.
- Preheat oven to 200 °C or 180 °C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Bring 4 liters of water to a boil with 2 tablespoons of sugar. I halve the amount and use my wok pan for this.2 tbsp sugar
- Now place 3-4 bagels in the water and cook for about 2 minutes per side. Then drain them with a slotted spoon on a wire rack and let them rest for a while on the baking tray. Start 2 minutes timer here
- Brush bagels with egg white and dip or sprinkle with sesame seeds or sunflower seeds, if desired.1 egg white
- Bagels now for about 20-25 minutes in the oven, until the desired brownness is achieved. The egg white can make the bagel look a little lighter and you should keep in mind that you will freeze the bagel if desired and bake it up again. Start 20 minutes timer here
- Let bagel cool and enjoy best still lukewarm. My favorite options for topping the bagel are lox, cream cheese, cold cuts such as cheese or ham, just butter or delicious jam or chocolate cream.
American bagels are part of a traditional American breakfast for me. They go well with sweet fried donuts, but also with Bacon & Eggs. Originally, bagels come from the European-Jewish area and have become a classic from the USA. Now I wish you a lot of fun with my bagel recipe and look forward to your bagel creations and breakfast ideas.