Strawberry jam recipe as simple instructions and easy recipe to homemade and cooked berry jam. The most popular jam is and remains strawberry jam and it is so easy to make this jam yourself. So then you know exactly what ingredients are in the jam.
Strawberry jam recipe – step by step instructions
Ingredients for homemade strawberry jam recipe:
- 750g strawberries (fresh or frozen)
- 100ml water
- juice of one lemon or lime
- 250g jam sugar 3:1
Instructions for delicious strawberry jam:
- Sprinkle frozen strawberries with gelling sugar and allow to thaw (preferably overnight in the refrigerator).
- Alternatively, wash fresh strawberries, remove from the green and cut into small pieces.
- Add water and lemon juice to strawberries.
- Chop and blend quantity in a stand mixer or puree in a large saucepan with a hand blender.
- Bring quantity to a boil in a large saucepan, stirring, and simmer and bubble for three minutes.
- You can review the optimum firmness of the mixture by letting it drip from the mixing spoon and when the last drop sets slightly, the mixture is perfect.
- If you do not want grains in the jam, you should still pass the mass through a sieve.
- Now pour the mass into sterilized hot jars. It is best to pour boiling hot water over the jars including the lids or have the jars in a hot oven beforehand.
- After filling, it is best to screw the jars shut with a silicone baking glove so that a vacuum is created by the still hot lids and jars, thus extending the shelf life.
- After cooling slowly, you can still label the jars and then it’s best to store them in a cool place or give them as gifts.
A strawberry jam recipe that you just have to try yourself once and afterwards probably never understand why you should buy a ready-made jar of jam in the store. Because it really is so easy to make and bottle strawberry jam recipe yourself.
Especially in this day and age, where you also consciously eat a little healthier and do more fitness and sports, you are happy if you know all the ingredients yourself.
For this purpose, homemade jam especially low-calorie berries offer so many different variants that you can mix. We have often mixed our strawberry jam recipe with cinnamon and anise at winter time. At summer time, we like to mix with other berries, such as raspberry, blueberry, a berry mix or pickled ginger. Only the mixing ratio of fruit grams and the amount of gelling sugar must remain the same – otherwise there is no limit to your imagination.
Fresh home-made Brioche or sweet yeast bread with home-made jam gives you an absolutely good and healthy feeling and looks perfect on your breakfast table in the morning. We always like to have a wide selection of different types of jam on the table, all of which we have cooked ourselves.
As long as you always remove the jam with a clean spoon, the jars will keep for several weeks even when opened. In the meantime, there is a tradition in our family to always bring new variations to each other when we meet.
Our tips for the perfect strawberry jam recipe
However, it is important that in addition to the simple strawberry jam recipe that even beginners can succeed, always make sure that you add the juice of a lemon or lime so that the color also looks perfect. The acid not only brings about the fresh aroma, but also retains the delicious red color of the strawberries – otherwise the mixture may look a bit milky and cloudy.
We prefer to use 3:1 gelling sugar, as we like to have as little sugar and as much fruit content as possible in our strawberry jam recipes. But of course you can also take gelling sugar 2:1, but then please convert 50% fruit to 50% sugar. You can now also find gelling sugar without real sugar, if you would like to switch to sugar-free alternatives here as well.
By the way, the recipe for the strawberry jam also works very well if you use the gelling sugar 3:1 to 3.5 or 4:1. This makes the strawberry jam even fruitier in taste and the sugar content even lower and healthier.
Strawberry jam homemade – simple
- 1 cooking pot large
- 1 preserving jars
- 1 labels
- 1 blender
- 750 g strawberries (fresh or frozen)
- 100 ml water
- 1 lemon (just the juice)
- 250 g gelling sugar 3:1
- Sprinkle frozen strawberries with gelling sugar and thaw overnight in the refrigerator.750 g strawberries, 250 g gelling sugar 3:1
- It is even fresher with fresh strawberries – wash them, cut them into small pieces, remove the green and sprinkle with gelling sugar.
- Combine strawberry mixture with water and lemon juice in a blender and chop, or use a hand blender in a large saucepan and blend.100 ml water, 1 lemon
- Bring mixture to a boil in a large saucepan and let bubble and boil for 3 minutes while stirring. Start 3 minutes timer here
- For review: as soon as you drain the stirring spoon and the last drop becomes slightly solid, the mass is perfect for filling.
- Sterilize canning jars or jam jars in advance (treat with hot water or place in a hot oven) and fill the finished mass into the jars while they are still hot and close them directly with the hot lid so that a vacuum can develop. It is best to use silicone baking gloves to close the jars.
- Now let jars cool slowly and label them nicely. The jam now keeps for several months and is best stored in a cool place.
So, now just try it out for yourself! Nothing bad can happen – if the mass becomes too liquid in the result, you have a delicious strawberry sauce for ice cream and dessert, if it is too solid for you, you can use it well as a filling for muffins or cakes and doughnuts. However, in most cases the jam is absolutely perfect in consistency.
It’s best to try our simple delicious Brioche as well for the best overall result while the berries thaw or the filled jars cool…