If I have to name one cake that tastes like spring and summer to me, it’s strawberry cakes and strawberry cream cakes. When strawberry season starts, strawberry cake season starts for me. I especially like to eat my strawberry cream cake with sponge cake base then.
Instructions for a delicious strawberry cream cake as sponge cake
Preheat oven to 200°C degrees top/bottom heat. Beat eggs for one minute until frothy. Sprinkle in sugar and vanilla sugar while the mixer is running. The process should take about one minute. Beat mixture for two more minutes until fluffy.
In a bowl mix sift flour, cornstarch and baking powder with a flour sifter. Now add flour mixture to batter one tablespoon at a time by running food processor on slowest speed. Now pour the liquid batter into a springform pan lined with baking paper. I like to clamp the baking paper directly into the springform pan and lightly spray the edges with baking spray.
Now bake the sponge cake for 15 minutes at 200°C degrees. After baking, the sponge cake must first be cooled and removed from the mold. The outer springform ring, you can loosen so. For the base, I turn the sponge upside down with the help of a wooden board. Then you can carefully peel off the baking paper and invert it back onto a cake plate.
For my cake, I divide the base once crosswise into two layers. A good knife or a cake layer cutter is suitable for this. Carefully set the top layer aside using a thin cake lifter plate.
Top the strawberry cream cake
While the cake is baking you can already wash the strawberries and cut them into small cubes. After cooling and preparing the sponge cake, whip the whipped cream with cream stiffener.
Now spread strawberries on the lower sponge cake layer so that the entire layer is covered. Then spread approx. ⅓ of the cream amount on the strawberries with a pastry scraper or cake knife.
Then carefully stack the second sponge cake layer again and spread another layer of strawberries. Now add again about ⅓ cream on top of the strawberries and with the last third of the cream still pull the edges neatly and if necessary spread some cream decoration with a piping bag. Likewise, you can still use a few strawberry pieces or strawberry slices as decoration.
Refrigerate the finished strawberry cream cake for at least an hour and then enjoy.
Bake a light strawberry cream cake with whipped cream yourself
It is so easy to bake a sponge cake base for a cake yourself. You can’t buy it this airy and fluffy with simple ingredients. You just have to stick to the exact minutes to whip the batter and then it’s the fastest strawberry cream cake you can bake. In just 15 minutes, the sponge is already baked and everything smells fresh cake.
Only the topping and the cream and the cooling of the sponge cake and the cold place needs time. You can make the cake as a cake or as a sheet cake with cream. In the strawberry cream cake version that I present to you today, I make the sponge cake into two layers, each of which I top. In my sheet cake version, I use only one layer.
I prefer to use whipped cream and not buttercream. I prefer my strawberry cream cake light and fluffy. It’s only when I use thicker cream with butter that I feel more guilty about snacking. With my whipped cream version, the cake stays fluffy, airy and light.
Light strawberry cream sponge cake homemade quickly
This strawberry cake is simple and quick to make. You only need fewer ingredients to make this cake. A sponge cake is quick and easy to bake and then you can top it any way you like. If you prefer to use a different buttercream, you can go for buttercream instead of cream here.
How to make buttercream?
For cupcakes and cakes, people like to use buttercream instead of whipped cream, as it is a bit firmer and more flavorful. You can make it with pudding powder (500ml of milk, 1 packet of vanilla pudding powder to boil, mix 70g of sugar with 250g of frothed room-warm butter).
Alternatively, it goes traditionally without custard powder (beat 500g of room-warm butter, 5 tablespoons of powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract liquid and 1 pinch of salt until fluffy, then stir in 4 tablespoons of yogurt.
In terms of taste, you can also modify the buttercream as chocolate buttercream, fruit buttercream or coffee buttercream.
Light strawberry cream sponge cake – quick and easy
- 1 stand mixer
- 1 dough scraper
- 1 round springform pan
- 1 piping bag
- 1 cake layer slicer
- 1 flour sifter
- 1 baking paper
- 1 fancy cake knife
- 3 eggs
- 75 g sugar
- 8 g vanilla sugar
- 90 g cake flour
- 20 g cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking powder (level)
- 600 ml whipped cream
- 24 g whipping cream stabilizer
- 1 kg strawberries
- Let the oven heat up to 200 °C.
- Beat eggs for one minute. Start 1 minute timer here3 eggs
- Sprinkle in the sugar and vanilla sugar while the mixer is running. The process should take about one minute. Start 1 minute timer here75 g (⅓ cups) sugar8 g (2 tsp) vanilla sugar
- Now beat eggs and sugar mixture for two more minutes until foamy. Start 2 minutes timer here
- In another bowl, sift flour, cornstarch and baking powder with a flour sifter.90 g (¾ cups) cake flour20 g (4 tsp) cornstarch1 tsp baking powder
- Now let flour mixture fold into dough one tablespoon at a time, running food processor on slowest setting.
- Now pour the quite liquid dough into a springform pan, which is lined with baking paper. I always clamp the baking paper in the springform pan and grease the edges lightly.
- Now bake the dough for 15 minutes at 200 °C. Start 15 minutes timer here
- While the sponge cake is baking and cooling, you can prepare the strawberries. Wash them and cut into small cubes.1 kg (7 cups) strawberries
- After baking, let the sponge cool and then remove from the springform pan and baking paper. For the base, I flip the entire sponge upside down using a wooden board. Then you can easily peel off the baking paper and invert it back onto a cake plate.
- For my multi-layer sponge cake, I divide the base once crosswise into two halves. A good knife or a cake layer cutter is suitable for this. The top layer is carefully put aside with the help of a thin cake lifter plate.
- Now whip the cups of cream with the cream stiffener until stiff.600 ml (21 floz) whipped cream24 g (6 tsp) whipping cream stabilizer
- Now spread strawberries on the bottom sponge cake layer first, so that the entire layer is covered. Then spread approx. ⅓ of the cream amount on the strawberries with a pastry scraper or cake knife.
- Now carefully stack the second sponge cake layer again and spread another layer of strawberries. Now again put about ⅓ cream on the strawberries and with the last third of the cream still pull the edges neatly and if desired distribute some cream decoration with a piping bag. Likewise, you can still use a few strawberry pieces or strawberry slices as decoration.
- Now refrigerate the finished cake for at least an hour and enjoy. Start 60 minutes timer here
If you want to have a not-so-mighty strawberry cream cake, you can also use a large square springform pan and bake only one layer. You need a little less strawberries and can already build a good layer with 2 cups of cream.
Who wants to offer the guests a little more variety can also bake two halves and then top one cream cake half with strawberries and one with peaches. This way you can offer two completely different flavors.
For decoration I always like to use chocolate. You can grate them yourself or use nice chocolate drops or something similar. Who wants can also like to put a few strawberry slices or pieces on the cake. Of course, the cake is ideal as a birthday cake, because you can place small candles very nice. Have fun trying it out!