Today I present you my simple basic pizza dough recipe for best homemade pizza. It’s fun to prepare the dough ahead of time because it’s very quick to make. The toppings can also be cut into small pieces and then quickly topped and baked in the oven or on the pizza stone, for example, in the grill ready. Quick pizza dough for a delicious dinner or even for many small pizza rolls.
Pizza dough recipe with yeast instructions
Mix 350ml warm water with 500g flour, then add yeast – in case of dry yeast first mix with flour, then add warm water. Then add 1 tsp salt and 5 tbsp olive oil, and spices. The dough should be smooth and no longer sticky.
Cover and let rise in a warm place for at least 30 minutes so that there is no draft. The longer the pizza rests, the airier the dough will be. The dough has now expanded and is “fluffier”. Knead again well on flour and then work.
Depending on your preference, you can now form pizza rolls or roll out a round or square pizza. Before rolling smooth, you should press the dough with your fingers into the desired shape. Roll out on a baking tray with baking paper or directly on the tray for the pizza stone.
Now first spread the tomato paste and then the desired toppings (cut as small as possible) – finally spread the cheese. After the pizza is baked, you can spread arugula or oregano on the pizza if desired.
You may have seen that I recently stood next to a stone oven and was able to make my own pizza there in a restaurant in Cologne. Personally, I love pizza and pizza rolls from the grill, which are made on a pizza stone. Pizza may be with me already rather something thicker and bread-like – so like fresh, delicious bread with tasty toppings. Exactly for this I have now found the best pizza dough basic recipe.
Tips for pizza dough recipe preparation
For this pizza dough recipe, you use the dough hook of the food processor or even knead nice and long by hand and a lot of flour, like the Italian. The firmer the dough becomes, the more you are happy about a food processor instead of a hand mixer. Whereby I am generally happy about the machine even with my breads and cake recipes.
However, the dough also gets firmer the longer you knead it, as gluten is released by the kneading. Personally, I’m currently trying to knead as little as possible to get a soft dough. I like thick pizza better than the thin crispy one with lots of air bubbles. Which I honestly couldn’t say nine to any pizza variety.
Pizza dough recipe toppings for homemade pizza
There is only one version of pizza that I don’t like to eat: Tuna pizza. All the other variants made out of my pizza dough recipe I like to try. Whether with pineapple or steak, asparagus and hollandaise sauce, sausages other fancy versions. However, my favorite is anything traditional like ham, bacon, mushrooms, onions, tomatoes, corn, olives and lots of pizza cheese.
Frozen ingredients can also be used for toppings, but this makes the pizza much moister. A pizza looks really pretty with green leaves like basil or fresh lettuce. If you can’t make the whole pizza, you can eat it cold or freeze it for “bad days.”
Pizza dough basic recipe – best homemade pizza dough
- pizza stone
- stand mixer
- dough scraper
- rolling pin
- baking tray
- 500 g all-purpose flour
- 7 g instant yeast
- 350 ml water (lukewarm)
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp pizza seasoning
- 2 tbsp tomato paste alternatively: sieved tomatos
- 200 g topping as desired: olives, tomatoes, peppers, tuna, corn, pepperoni, mozarella, ham, salami, pineapple,…
- 1 tbsp herb spice herbs, chilli
- 5 tbsp grated cheese mozarella, pizza cheese, Gguda
- Mix flour with yeast, then add warm water. Then add salt and olive oil, and spices. The dough should be smooth and no longer sticky, otherwise add a little more flour.500 g all-purpose flour, 7 g instant yeast, 350 ml water, 5 tbsp olive oil, 1 tsp salt, 2 tsp pizza seasoning
- Cover and let rise in a warm place for at least 30 minutes so that no drafts can get to it. The longer the pizza rests, the fluffier the dough will be. The dough has now expanded and is "fluffier". Start 30 minutes timer here
- Depending on your preference, you can now form pizza rolls with a little extra flour or roll out round pizzas or a large square pizza. Before rolling smooth, you should press the dough with your fingers into the desired shape. Roll out on a baking sheet with baking paper or directly on the tray for the pizza stone.
- Now first spread the tomato paste and then the desired toppings (preferably cut into small pieces) – finally spread the cheese. After the pizza is baked, you can spread arugula or oregano on the pizza if desired.2 tbsp tomato paste, 200 g topping, 1 tbsp herb spice, 5 tbsp grated cheese
- Preheat oven to 220 °C or 200 °C or 6-7 °C and bake for about 13-17 minutes each time, until desired browning is reached. Start 13 minutes timer here
I often made a smaller pizza and quite a few pizza rolls, then ate them with salty butter. If one was full, one could freeze the remaining rolls without problems and use them as bread substitute if necessary.
Have fun trying this yummy pizza dough recipe and bon appétit!